Outside of the home, children spend the majority of their waking hours at school—making the health and safety of our school buildings one of the top priorities for any community. Yet one of the biggest threats often goes unnoticed: radon in the school.
Radioactive and carcinogenic, radon puts children at risk.
Unfortunately, though, when it comes to radon exposure, schools across the United States aren’t always aware of the risks or what to do to mitigate them. Whether you’re a concerned parent or a member of your local school board, RadonAway is here to inform and guide you through the key facts of radon in schools.
What to Know About Radon and Radon Removal in Schools
A radioactive gas with no discernible color, odor, or taste, radon is a known cause of lung cancer in the United States. As many as 21,000 lung cancers deaths per year are attributed to radon inhalation—an amount second only to smoking.
According to research by the EPA and other national organizations, here are important facts about radon and radon removal in schools:
- Prevalence: Surveys show that nearly one in five schools has at least one classroom with an excessive short-term radon level (4 pCi/L or higher). That translates into 70,000 classrooms across the United States.
- Risk to Kids: Due to their unique lung physiology and early stage of growth and development, kids are especially vulnerable to the negative effects of inhaling radon.
- Testing: The EPA estimates that only 20% of schools in the United States have had radon testing completed, despite the recommendation that all schools be tested.
Professional Radon Testing and Mitigation for Schools
The only way to detect radon in the school environment is to test for it, and RadonAway would be happy to work with your local school district. Through the exclusive RadonAway Authorized Professional Network, we have vetted contractors near you—with all the training, certification, and experience required to neutralize this invisible threat.
From radon testing to mitigation, Authorized Professionals do it all!
For your peace of mind and the health of your children, every RadonAway Authorized Professional is:
- Carefully Vetted by RadonAway
- Fully Insured
- Proven in the Field, with 100+ Radon Removal Projects Done Each Year
- Nationally and/or State Certified
- Experienced in the Local Community
- State-Licensed Where Mandated
- Committed to Quality via a Performance Guarantee
Worried About Radon in the School? Schedule a Radon Test Now
If you’re concerned about the safety of the environment in which your children spend their days, take action today. Encourage your local school administration to schedule radon testing by setting up a free consultation with a qualified expert nearest you.
We take an educational and pressure-free approach to mitigation of schools and large buildings and will do what we can to keep your kids healthy and safe! Call us or fill out our online form to get started now.